Commissioner Susan Bottcher
Term 1 - 2011-2014
Social Media: Susan has a Facebook page, but is not on LinkedIn.
Susan was elected as the District 3 Commissioner for the City of Gainesville on April 12, 2011. She currently serves on the following committees/boards:
- Economic Development University Community Committee (2013 - Present; Chair 2013)
- Recreation, Cultural Affairs & Public Works Committee (2012 - Present; Chair 2012 - 2013)
- Public Safety Committee (2013 - Present)
- Transportation Disadvantaged Board, Chair (2012 - 2013)
- Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA), (Chair 2012 - 2013)
- Library Governing Board, Vice-Chair (2012 - Present)
- Equal Opportunity Committee (2011 - 2013)
- Regional Utilities Committee (2011 - 2013; Chair 2011 - 2012)
- Tourist Development Council (2012 - 2013)
- Metropolitan Planning Transportation Organization
- Tobacco Free Alachua Task Force (2011 - Present)
- North Central Florida Regional Planning Council (2011 - 2012, 2013 - Present)
- Recreation Coordinating Council (2013 - Present)
Strategic Initiatives: The City of Gainesville reviews and updates its Strategic Plan and initiatives annually. Susan is currently the sponsor of the following Strategic Initiatives:
- Initiative 2.2: Continue implementation of the strategic redevelopment plan for Depot Park and the Power District
- Initiative 4.1: Develop strategies for conducting successful annexation referendums
- Initiative 5.2: Support the reconstruction of transportation facilities to encourage redevelopment of Sixth Street and Depot Avenue.
- Initiative 6.5: Identify steps of implementation for the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs (PRCA) Master Plan and continued acquisition of conservation land.
Biography: Susan grew up in Ft. Lauderdale and came to Gainesville in 1975. She graduated from the University of Florida (BA '79) and has additional graduate level coursework through UF's College of Recreation, Parks and Tourism (Tourism Development). Prior to running for elected office, Susan worked for approximately ten years in the property & casualty insurance field as a claims adjuster, personal lines and commercial lines underwriter. She holds an Associate in Underwriting (AU, '86) from the Insurance Institute of America. She is a graduate of the Gainesville Area Chamber of Commerce's Leadership Gainesville program (LG XXV) as well as the City of Gainesville's Citizens' Academy (Nov. 2010) and Gainesville Fire Rescue's Citizen's Academy (June 2012).
For more than 20 years Susan served the community volunteering for various non-profit and charitable organizations. Among these are included 10 years (1993-2003) on Littlewood Elem. School's PTA, the Literacy Network (1995-2000), The Children’s Museum of the South, Inc. (formerly EXPO, The Children’s Museum of Gainesville, Inc.), 1996-2006.
Susan also volunteered for a number of community initiatives and boards including "Visions 2000" Alachua County Visioning Process ('96-'97), East Gainesville Development Task Force (‘97-‘98), the Strategic Planning, Action Team 3, School Board of Alachua County, ('99-'00), and the Alachua County Child Care Center Board ('90).