A Hometown With You In Mind
Gainesville has built a reputation as one of the most desirable communities in Florida. In fact, Gainesville has been recognized for years by Money magazine as one of the nation's most livable cities. As home to the University of Florida, Gainesville is a dynamic city that serves as North Central Florida's hub for education, business, medicine, and culture. Gainesville has been recognized as "Tree City USA" by the National Arbor Day Foundation, a top ten bicycling community by Bicycling Magazine, and "One of America's great running towns" by Runner's World Magazine.
Additionally, the Gainesville area offers unique opportunities to visit and interact with natural, historical and entertaining areas of Florida. There are hundreds of attractions in Gainesville, including city parks, area freshwater activities, nature trails and other sites of interest within a short driving distance from Gainesville.
Gainesville has been called many things by many people, but after taking a closer look, we're sure you'll want to call Gainesville home.
Gainesville is a great place for families. Gainesville features:
Never a Dull Moment
Gainesville is just a short drive from beautiful beaches on both coasts, the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean, offering a wealth of fun and opportunity to get the most from Florida such as:
- Morningside Nature Center, Gainesville's premier nature park has more than seven miles of trails wind through sandhill, flatwoods, cypress domes, and areas where native vegetation is being restored.
- Kanapaha Botanical Gardens, 62 acres of lakeside forests and specialty gardens
- Hoggetowne Medieval Faire
- Numerous festivals and art shows, as well as a variety of performing arts
- Thirteen museums and galleries, including the Thomas Center Galleries, Harn Museum of Art and the Florida Museum of Natural History
- Butterfly Rainforest at the Florida Museum of Natural History
- A thriving downtown containing a plethora of dining establishments, engaging nightlife, and a vibrant performing arts scene
- Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo
- Payne's Prairie State Preserve, a 20,000-acre wildlife sanctuary
- Dozens of crystal-clear freshwater springs located throughout the region
- Gainesville Raceway, home of the Gatornationals and NHRA
- Excitement of Florida Gators football, basketball, tailgating, and other SEC sporting events
- Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (NFL), Tampa Bay Rays (MLB), Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL), Orlando Magic (NBA), and Disney World in Orlando, all less than two hours away