The Current Planning Division coordinates the review processes for development plans, subdivisions, special use permits, planned developments, and variances. To facilitate these processes, the City offers a First Step Meeting, where representatives of various City departments provide information and assistance. Click here to download a brochure on First Step Meetings. After attending a First Step Meeting, some developments over a certain size must first hold a neighborhood workshop. Click here for a brochure on explaining how to conduct a neighborhood workshop and to find out when they are required.
Development Review - Most types of development require a separate development plan approval prior to applying for building permits. Development plans are either reviewed by the Development Review Board in a public hearing or approved administratively by City staff, depending on the size and nature of the development. Click here for a Guide to the Development Review Process or for a flowchart of the steps involved.
Special Use Permits - Some activities or developments may only be allowed by special approval from the City Plan Board through the special use permit process. Requests for a special use permit are usually accompanied by a development plan.
Variances - The Board of Adjustment may grant variances from building heights, yard setbacks, and certain other requirements in the Land Development Code.
Click here to download a Zoning Compliance Permit Form. Be sure to visit the Planning Department's Online Forms page for additional information.
Searching Tips and Instructions for the Project Database:
Select the Projects tab and select radio button for Application number or Address
To search by Application Number
- Project numbers include a two letter prefix, followed by the two digit year abbreviation, and a five digit sequence number (XX-YY-00123)
- Prefixes for Planning Projects indicate the type of review or reviewing board (e.g. PB=City Plan Board)
- Partial searches will result in a range of projects (e.g. DB-10 will show in all projects requiring Development Review Board approval for the year 2010)
- Results can be sorted by address or by project status by selecting the View mode in the upper right corner of the search window
To search by Address
- Enter a specific address or for more successful searches use a range
- Enter only the street name or number, not street directions
To review project details, select desired project by clicking on the item
For questions, contact COGPlanning@cityofgainesville.org or call us at (352)334-5023.