Tuesday, October 26, 2021    .:: GOVERNMENT » City Departments (N-Z) » Nature Operations Division » PoliciesForms  ::.     Login 

Policies and Forms

The City of Gainesville’s Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs (PRCA) Department has a variety of policies that affect park management and operations. While staff encourage visitation and usage of the nature parks and conservation areas, there are times when activity oversight is needed to ensure the sustainability of our precious natural resources. Chapter 18 of the City of Gainesville Code of Ordinances: http://www.cityofgainesville.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=weFV0nD2ky4%3D&tabid=168

From time to time, the Parks Recreation and Cultural Affairs (PRCA) Department receives inquiries about wildlife issues from citizens. Wildlife issues can range from how to handle injured wildlife to nuisance wildlife causing property damage. The Department’s Nuisance Wildlife Policy was created to assist citizens about the laws and regulations regarding wildlife, provide information about various wildlife species, and direction on how to handle nuisance wildlife.
Signage is an important aspect in daily life to know where you are, where you are going, and how to get there. NOD staff try to balance the use of signage in the City’s nature parks in order to provide appropriate direction without hindering a visitors enjoyment of the natural resource. The NOD Sign Policy was developed to provide staff, and inquiring citizens, with instruction on appropriate park signage.
Geocaching and Letterboxing are two activities that can be fun and rewarding to visitors and, with proper oversight, these activities can be compatible with NOD’s management goals. A permit is needed in order to place a new geocache or letterbox. Please read our Geocaching-Letterboxing Policyand complete the Permit Application form.
At times, citizens ask the City to erect a memorial on public lands.  The PRCA Department developed a Memorial Policy to provide citizens instructions on the process involved with such a request on park lands.
The Nature Operations Division is frequently asked to provide natural resource locations for various agency, school, or university students and professionals to conduct research. In order to properly manage research requests to the limited natural resources available, PRCA staff require a Special Use Authorization form to be completed prior to the start of any research or study project.